Saturday, January 06, 2007

I Hate You South East Ridge

Incase you haven't noticed on the east coast, it's been flippin warm! How is a winter weather hobbiest such as myself supposed to be excited and happy in a pattern like this? I keep reading the weather models hoping to see the cold air coming, but nothing materializes. I think this winter has been the warmest in my lifetime. There hasn't been a day where I really needed my jacket to leave the house and it's almost mid January. Meanwhile, places like Denver, Co are getting pounded by snow storm after snow storm. It makes me want to cry.

Current Weather Conditions:
Bennington, Bennington Morse State Airport, VT, United States

(KDDH) 42-53-24N 073-14-47W 244M

Conditions at

2007.01.06 0954 UTC
Wind from the SSW (200 degrees) at 10 MPH (9 KT) gusting to 23 MPH (20 KT)
Visibility 9 mile(s)
Sky conditions overcast
Weather Light rain
Precipitation last hour 0.02 inches
Temperature 62.1 F (16.7 C)
Dew Point 57.0 F (13.9 C)
Relative Humidity 83%
Pressure (altimeter) 29.61 in. Hg (1002 hPa)
ob KDDH 060954Z AUTO 20009G20KT 9SM -RA FEW019 SCT046 OVC065 17/14 A2961 RMK AO2 RAB27 SLP023 P0002 T01670139

Is it January or is it September? Someone wake me up when the cold comes because I'm going back to bed. Good night!

2 Comments:

Blogger juniper pearl said...

it was 70 degrees in massachusetts today! my mother called to tell me to open a window and enjoy it, and i almost hung up on her. i think it's dreadful and terrifying and probably a sign of the apocalypse. all the little hibernating animals are going to wake up and head out into the world and STARVE . . .

do any of the weather models have any suggestions for why this is happening?

12:37 AM  
Blogger Mikey B. said...

A very dominant south east ridge along with a positive NAO and a very positive AO.

Normally we have warm spells throughout winter, but this is freaking unreal. I checked the models earlier today to see if there were any signs of winter. There was no real sign of it cooling down, though some meteorologists disagree with the models.

About NAO
About AO
NAO Today
AO Today

Figured I'd give ya those links to show you what I'm talking about. If you notice on those 2 charts I linked for you, they are both expected to go more neutral, so it might start to feel bit more like winter soon.

I'm not an expert in this field, so I really don't know a whole lot. I've just had a few basic courses on the subject.

If you really want to learn a little bit more and see what the professionals think, I'd suggest you check out my link under Science and Technology called Eastern US Weather. Lots of reputable meteorologists post there daily. I've learned quite a bit from that board.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home